No announcement yet.

P5ylance : 1992 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24.7 is not bad depending on what portion of mixed is surface street driving. You should try banging out 100 miles of pure highway driving @ 55-65 to see what kind of mileage your car is capable of. I would not be surprised if it was over 35. If you can get over 35, that will sort of provide a number to strive for, even when you're just idling around town.

I remember getting 22 mpg no matter what I did back right when I got the car. After doing very minor tune up stuff, I was able to get mid 20s. By playing with driving style, I haven't had a tank under 30 mpg for over a year. I'm not suggesting that my driving style is to be emulated, but that the car is to be applauded for its capacity of excellent efficiency.

Just remember to never ever touch the brakes. It's obviously harder in an automatic, but attempt to engine brake at all costs. Better yet, predict when you need to slow down and just drive slower to avoid braking at all.

x2 on emissions, I just barely passed on my last test. I'm running a dying magnaflow cat that's forcing think about buying a new OEM cat. Don't want to part with 650 bucks quite yet.

The charcoal canister is a filter system for gasoline fumes so that they aren't vented to the atmosphere. The charcoal adsorbs the fumes and in some systems, those fumes are even called on later when the ECU deems appropriate. How it would affect mileage, I don't know. I would expect effects to be minimal.

When you do the H23 plenum swap, clean out your EGR ports. Wed3k has a great DIY and I wrote about it in my Member's Ride page.

LOL yeah I've thought about designing an underbody tray as well. EcoModder mentions it.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/fuel-econ...cations.php#35

It'd be a fun project, although I would expect results to be limited to mental satisfaction rather than MPG. Getting into aerodynamic mods is obviously tricky without a model and wind tunnel. That being said the MPGuino has a function where it can sort of determine coefficient of drag based on coasting acceleration on a slope. That could help greatly with the design process.

Honestly I have very little experience with the dual butterflies on the A6/H23 intake manifolds. Your guess is as good as mine as to that problem. There is also an IAT (intake air temperature) sensor on the side of the intake manifold, in the first cylinder runner. You named all the other components.
    Your jumping rpm produces no CEL, right?

Comment

hahaha, I see you're a "hyper-miler," nextepisode? lol I love hypermiling every now and then, but it's so hard when theres impatient people around me haha. I really wanna have at least one good day of hyper-miling every month to get my feet wet in the concept ;D

I drove from Sac to San Jose round trip, and was able to get ~28/29 at 70MPH, hahaha I was hella stoked! I will definitely try and do the trip again, at 65mph, when i have another reason to go down there

I'm also trying to learn the lights on my daily route and how they behave so that i can roll up to them without braking. kinda hard, but i've gotten it on a few occasions!

how was your experience with cleaning the EGR ports? and do i get new plugs from honda for those?

this one guy on ecomodder with a lexus ES300? did just a front underbody tray (between the bumper and the middle of the engine) and allegedly got + 3-4MPG. sounds easier than an whole underbody lol, just something to look into. materials-wise, i dunno what to use. if i could find some ABS plastic big enough, WOOOOOT! but would aluminum be okay? that would confine heat though, right?

No CEL when the rpm's jump. In my "performance" thread, some people have noted something related to the torque converter or the TCU, both of which are very valid causes and even some accord 4th and 5th gens on honda tech have had the same issue, so its probably that.
      Last edited by P5ylance; 07-25-2010, 01:18 AM.
      blackROSE Member, with a focus on VIP Style

Comment

Yeah other drivers can really screw you up. For that reason I prefer to do most of my long distance driving post 10 pm. Fortunately, I usually have that luxury.

65 will definitely help. Be aware of acceleration too, of course. It's a little harder with an automatic, but try to let it shift early. Even on fwy on ramps, I can usually get away w/ shifting at around 2000-2300 rpm. Keep that throttle plate as close to closed and you'll be well over 30 mpg on that next trip.

You probably already knew all that already, so excuse me if I'm boring you ahaha

The EGR ports are pretty straight forward, assuming you have the exposed ports. I have no experience regarding ports that have that epoxied-over appearance. Username Frootloops suggested that you use an angle grinder on those to get the surface relatively flat before drilling and tapping the port like normal. I'm not sure if there are recessed removable plugs under the epoxy, or if its just solid aluminum. Hopefully there are removable plugs under there, as that will save a lot of time otherwise spent on drilling. I followed Wed3k's guide and bought 7x 1/2-20 set screws and tapped the ports. Realistically though, you'd be fine just sticking new OEM plugs back in. Cleaning the ports is not something you need to do very often.

Dayum, 3-4 mpg from that alone is NUTS. I personally would like to use aluminum, but I would probably leave my front crossmember exposed. I scrape that at least twice a week, so I'm pretty sure my aluminum substitute wouldn't last more than a month. Yeah, confined heat might be a problem. Frankly, I'd think the stock cooling system is strong enough to handle the engine. It would just be the random under-the-hood peripherals that might get cooked. I guess that would be something to just be weary of during initial testing.

Going back to your VIP goals, have you thought about sound deadening? Based on many wasted hours of research, I'd say the best source of information on it is at

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/

and

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

The second website started out as a site that listed one DIYMA member's findings regarding sound deadener build quality. He later expanded the site to contain brief summaries of sound deadening techniques/application and eventually began low volume sales. He really started the site to share information, not to market his products.

Finally, again username Frootloops wrote a DIY on cb7tuner.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=143459

Comment

Car looks great man good job

Originally posted by lordoja
          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

haha thanks glory, much appreciated!

I made it to Japan, visiting host family from an exchange program and sightseeing.

I picked up some VIP goodies from this Junction Produce Boutique! I was able to go to the store and pick up some Bippu Style goodies firsthand instead of shipping it over, it was definitely quite an experience!

PS: I saw an Acura Vigor, or Honda Vigor over here. theres a shit ton of other Honda vehicles out here, soooo many different models! also, i see quite a few Honda Fits out here with the USDM tail lights, hehehe :] it actually looks pretty cool on the cars out here, USDM parts. and even some of the mercs and bmw`s are still left hand drive.

I saw the Honda Inspire, aka USDM Honda Accord. 7th gen, and 8th gen. the 7th gen USDM accord looks wayy better out here, it has a crystal clear 3rd brake light instead, and 50/50s so it looks pretty good. and the 8th USDM accord has the extra tail light bars on the Inspire model, looks much better.

search Toyota Crown. it is quite possibly the greatest looking toyota I have ever seen. it oozes royalty!

cheers from Japan!

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
              Yeah other drivers can really screw you up. For that reason I prefer to do most of my long distance driving post 10 pm. Fortunately, I usually have that luxury.

65 will definitely help. Be aware of acceleration too, of course. It's a little harder with an automatic, but try to let it shift early. Even on fwy on ramps, I can usually get away w/ shifting at around 2000-2300 rpm. Keep that throttle plate as close to closed and you'll be well over 30 mpg on that next trip.

You probably already knew all that already, so excuse me if I'm boring you ahaha

The EGR ports are pretty straight forward, assuming you have the exposed ports. I have no experience regarding ports that have that epoxied-over appearance. Username Frootloops suggested that you use an angle grinder on those to get the surface relatively flat before drilling and tapping the port like normal. I'm not sure if there are recessed removable plugs under the epoxy, or if its just solid aluminum. Hopefully there are removable plugs under there, as that will save a lot of time otherwise spent on drilling. I followed Wed3k's guide and bought 7x 1/2-20 set screws and tapped the ports. Realistically though, you'd be fine just sticking new OEM plugs back in. Cleaning the ports is not something you need to do very often.

Dayum, 3-4 mpg from that alone is NUTS. I personally would like to use aluminum, but I would probably leave my front crossmember exposed. I scrape that at least twice a week, so I'm pretty sure my aluminum substitute wouldn't last more than a month. Yeah, confined heat might be a problem. Frankly, I'd think the stock cooling system is strong enough to handle the engine. It would just be the random under-the-hood peripherals that might get cooked. I guess that would be something to just be weary of during initial testing.

Going back to your VIP goals, have you thought about sound deadening? Based on many wasted hours of research, I'd say the best source of information on it is at

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/

and

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

The second website started out as a site that listed one DIYMA member's findings regarding sound deadener build quality. He later expanded the site to contain brief summaries of sound deadening techniques/application and eventually began low volume sales. He really started the site to share information, not to market his products.

Finally, again username Frootloops wrote a DIY on cb7tuner.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=143459
              haha no problem, thanks for the information! I cant wait to get back to my car and give it another shot and try and hit that 30mpg mark! right now im in japan hahaha, just picked up some VIP goodies, mmmm so expensiveee the guy gave me a discount because i bought so much haha

definitely! imma try and make that tray someday, when i have garage space and time lol. lets make a DIY! you try, and i try, and we put together the results lol

i really wanna get to sound deadening too, cuz i want to quiet down my cabin, road noise is pretty distracting in my car :< when i get some components, hopefully by the end of this year me and my friend, who loves audio, can get my car muted. mmm :] or maybe some noise cancelling technology like in the luxury cars...? some speakers that emit soundwaves to cancel road noise, when i read about that in the Infiniti M, i was like whoaaaa what the eff!?!?!

Comment

Yeah, I've been thinking about active noise cancelling as well.

http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.ed.../noise_prj.htm

It actually seems plausible, maybe just an issue of locating a place to stash the microphones.

rofl are you Japanese by any chance?

Comment

mmmm interesting!

haha nah, i`m full chinese :]

today in japan its august 6th, the anniversary of the hiroshima bombing, btw. big ceremony today.

on a side note, i got a TON of VIP style magazines, and the guy at the JP boutique hooked it up since i bought so much, hahaha so he gave me magazines and calendars and stuff.

c-pillar badges look really nice on the toyota crowns out here, it makes me rethink about buying some!

Comment

I like what your doing to this. VIP style all day. Nice man

I was thinking about going that way for my wagon, VIP stance with full leather and all that goodness.
                    CDOG
                    He's baaaacckk

Comment

2 pages more and I'm still amazed on how much detailed work you do by yourself!

Interior is very classy! I'm sure its the flash but the rear side panels still look blueish to me.

Keep up the good work

Comment

@CB7@_@TrAnCe: wagons and vans and small ass cars are hella popular out here in JDM land, chicks be driving big ass minivans around just to get around lol!

so definitely, i think you can run that style on your wagon :]

search: wagonist, kei car style, k car style

^those are what youll be looking for. basically, its the concept of bippu style applied to wagons and vans, with a slight twist for wagons.

@excalibur02: hehe thanks maur! yeah man, that flash makes my car look bluer than it actually does! its kinda disappointing too, cuz i want a really nice interior pic, but the dark navy blue becomes this bright ass blue when i dont want it to hahaha so i gotta remember to take a pic in the daylight lol

yup yup, when i get back from my trip to japan (big birthday present to myself, haha its 7/31 for 15 days straight!) imma get back to work on my car :] i miss driving her. cant wait to get started on the front door panels, and maybe make some component speaker pods in the sail panels!

i miss my leather seats, hahaha, to be able to slide in and out is fun and so much easier instead of the friction from cloth lol! especially after i condition them.... :3 slip sliderr

lol and on the classy, all my female friends that ride in my car comment that the car looks and feels amazing inside and out. this car sure is a mood-setter, :] haha!

will do! ive got quite a big planned for her yet :] gonna try and wire up some vigor rear c-pillar courtesy lights... but i dont know how to get them to turn on when the door opens, any suggestions?
                        Last edited by P5ylance; 08-06-2010, 10:25 PM.

Comment

got back from japan recently, been really busy with work though!

anyways, some pictures of some goodies i got for my car. and some new clothes from japan

After seeing so many sick vans out there, I will one day own myself a van so i thought ahead and bought some spare curtains. also got some cushions and other JP stuffffff

I also found an 8G accord RC car! WHAAAAA BLACK TOO!!?!?! i lucked out! i love this accord.

Deer beanie to sneak in with the sacred deer running rampant across a couple of the temple grounds (bastards ate my map ), ET falling off his bike, and some solid snake-y pajamas. FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT, YO!

Comment

nice man i love the stock look like mine clean and simple you should lower it more hahahah and im working on the rest of thoes rain guards i only have the sun roof one now how much did you pay for all four of them and what site ???

Comment

Originally posted by 93blackcb7 View Post
                              nice man i love the stock look like mine clean and simple you should lower it more hahahah and im working on the rest of thoes rain guards i only have the sun roof one now how much did you pay for all four of them and what site ???
                              thanks for swingin' by!

i'm thinking about lowering it some more down the road :] when i have another DD or when my setup goes out. maybe some coilovers??? know anything about good coilover setups for this accord? in the meantime though, it rides pretty close to stock, with better handling trying to look into some new bushings though. mine look like they've obviously seen better days lol

yahh, clean look is really nice! not overdoing it, but if you know what has been done to the car, you appreciate its worth more i'm lookin at your car in your sig and it looks really nice! no MRT? :<

door visors mmm, i got mine off ebay for ~$42? luckily my first set was blank, so it didn't have like their brand stamped into it, but i got a spare set and it had the brand stamp. meh :[ haha

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WINDO...Q5fAccessories

but heres a link i found for you, in the pic it looks like the visors are blank! but be wary, it could be a trick!~ :] either way, ebay visors are good too. unless you like OEM, but finding an affordable set might be kinda hard :\ plus the finish on most of the OEM ones are very faded now :\ i settled for the ebay visors, and i haven't been disappointed yet!

Comment

hit 25MPG today, SWEET!

Comment

Working...
                                X