Raf99 : 1993 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
    Ya, there's no way the 9006 socket type will fit in the units which kind of sucks as I have a 8000K kit and a 4300K kit still in box. Judging by the instructions and Function>Form's pics you remove the 9006 plug/socket to adapt for these units (which take a whole new bulb type). & I'm pretty sure the bulbs made for these are 100x better than what I have now.
    Yeah I'm guessing D2S bulbs which are pretty much the gold standard for HID factory bulbs. Kits are just over 30$ shipped, you could get one then just use the wiring, then you will have backup ballasts, or you could use them for something like foglights?
    My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

Comment

You need d2s bulbs and adapters if you already have a hid kit

Bulbs
      http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=08570141026

Adapters
      http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=62281282703

That's all I needed when I put my e46s projectors in and I will be getting some for my mini d2s as well .

Originally posted by Darkcloud
      Wimp go low or go home haha
      Originally posted by cb7_tillidie
      Not a single fuck was given that day.

Comment

Depending on the HID kit you already have, you may just need an adapter. I had an existing kit that used 'amp' type ballasts. So i used the Amp to D2S adapters from TRS. Literally plug'n'play. TRS has EVERYTHING you need. I wouldn't go anywhere else. They are willing to discount for bundles as long as you ask. And their customer service is second to NONE.

The only thing i wouldn't get from them are the new Phillips 4.3k D2S bulbs. There is an eBay seller with awesome rep that is selling authentic phillips bulbs for around $60 a pair, which is $25 cheaper than TRS.

I have pics of my set-up if you need them to help you visualize.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by Function>Form View Post
          Depending on the HID kit you already have, you may just need an adapter. I had an existing kit that used 'amp' type ballasts. So i used the Amp to D2S adapters from TRS. Literally plug'n'play. TRS has EVERYTHING you need. I wouldn't go anywhere else. They are willing to discount for bundles as long as you ask. And their customer service is second to NONE.

The only thing i wouldn't get from them are the new Phillips 4.3k D2S bulbs. There is an eBay seller with awesome rep that is selling authentic phillips bulbs for around $60 a pair, which is $25 cheaper than TRS.

I have pics of my set-up if you need them to help you visualize.
          I should read before asking stupid Qs, but the adapter will only allow the ballasts to work with other bulbs for the connection type. There is still the issue of the bulb (with the 3 locking tabs) not fitting into the projector itself. My understanding is that only a certain type of bulb will fit into this (DS2 bulb) and then use the adapter to allow different ballast to work with those bulbs. Sounds like a headache waiting to happen :P

Comment

OK, so i thought i'd try and clear a few things up for you...

Here you can see the D2S to Amp adapter connected to the HID ballast. The adapter plugs into the Amp connections and converts it to a D2S connector so you can use D2S bulbs.

The most common types of HID ballasts are 'Amp' and 'D2S'. Amp is common in aftermarket kits and D2S is common for OEM set ups. If your HID kit is not D2S, then it most likely has Amp connections.

My HID kit has Amp connections so i needed the adapter to power my D2S bulbs.

Here you can see the rear of the D2S bulb and the adapter that fits onto it. Notice the locking ring holding the bulb in place...

Since the projectors are D2S mini's, they will only accept D2S bulbs. 9006 bulbs WILL NOT WORK, unless you do some heavy modification...which i wouldn't recommend...at all.

Here i took the bulb out. Again, notice the locking ring on the end. That is part of the projector assembly and holds the bulb in place by screwing onto the back of the projectors itself.

Here is the bulb connected to the adapter. Remember the locking ring goes on first to secure the bulb properly. This is just to show how things are connected. you would insert and secure the bulb BEFORE connecting the adapter.

Here is a view of the rear of the D2S mini projector. The bulb goes in first, then the locking ring over the end of the bulb, then the D2S connector/adapter.

Here is everything back together. My JDM lights have rubber boots to keep out moisture, so i had to run all the wires thru them first before connecting the adapter.

Hopefully this gives you a better idea of how things will go for you. It's really very simple. TRS has made it that way. Most everything besides mounting the actual projectors is plug and play.

If you have any questions. Feel free to ask.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Shakes hand of Function>Form. Thanks. Too kind of you to post up pics of this and clear things up!! Seriously, thanks for going out of your way on this. & also confirms for me that I need to buy the following to finish my setup:

- DS2 compatible shrouds
              - Adapter hardness (as seen in your pics)
              - & DS2 bulbs

I bought my HID kits from someone on cb7tuner here, but I can't remember the brand for the life of me. I think they are DDM's, which look like this: (I'll verify this tomorrow and find out the specs of them (they are at the garage)

& of course the bulbs are 9006s which look like this:

Way different than the bulb type for a DS2 mini projector. But I'm so glad I know. I got one more question for ya if its ok. When purchasing/picking a shroud type, do I need to choose one compatible with the DS2 mini projector or is it more along the lines of being compatible with fitting in my headlight housing that I'm using?

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                Shakes hand of Function>Form. Thanks. Too kind of you to post up pics of this and clear things up!! Seriously, thanks for going out of your way on this...

I got one more question for ya if its ok. When purchasing/picking a shroud type, do I need to choose one compatible with the DS2 mini projector or is it more along the lines of being compatible with fitting in my headlight housing that I'm using?

Hey no problem, bud. Im glad to help.

As for shroud choice, it's a combination of both factors that will decide what shrouds you choose. Technically, there are no shrouds that TRS sells that are made to fit the mini D2S projectors exactly. Almost all of them will need to be modified to fit flush on the projector and fit into the housings.

I used the mini-gatling shrouds since the diameter is right, but they are too deep to fit flush on the projector, so i had to cut reliefs on the shrouds. They also are small enough to fit into the bezels of the JDM lights without having to cut the bezels. Since the USDM lights do not have interior bezels your options should be better than mine.

Truthfully, any shroud will work with enough modification. You just have to pick the ones that you like the best and make them work. I have another set of 'iris' shrouds that i will be modifying and putting in soon.

So pick what you like and be ready to cut them up a little bit so they work.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Since its moderate modification to put hids into our headlights its not much to shave shrouds with a dremel. Just pick the shroud that looks best to you imo.

Comment

any new updates?

Comment

Originally posted by 1990[H]accordex View Post
                      any new updates?
                      of course there is.....

To follow up with the HIDs talk. I checked out my 3K yellow HID 9005 kit I had and they are Tenons. They have the following stats below, and I'll assume that the ballast (35W) can be used with the DS2 bulb type.

I haven't read up yet on the diff between a 35W and 55W.... BUT... just looked at the website and I can use my ballast with the D2S: Philips 85122+ bulbs:

Projectors
                      All (low beam & bi-xenons) designed for use with D2S bulbs
                      Ballasts
                      All (35w & 55w) models designed for use with D2S bulbs
                      OEM Applications
                      All that use D2S bulbs

Sooo all I need is bulbs ($95+tax/shipping), adapters ($15+tax/shipping), and shrouds ($40+tax/shipping). I'd like to buy some JDM housings too. So this project won't be done anytime soon, but its definitely in the works!

I decided my next big project (besides the HIDs) is to finish the rear disc conversion. I have most the parts except for the dust shields, pad clips, and a few bolts. The hardest challenge is trying to figure out how this all goes together exactly. Like the brake hose from the caliper to the upper connector, I'm not sure if it should be twisted like this, but I couldn't figure out any other way for it to go.... I'm going to check out other pictures I have and sort things out there.

And........ if you're still reading. I found a 92 accord LX in Sydney that has 76,000km on it. Yes, I said 76,000km. I am .... shocked. Going to try to get pics of this car, so far all I know is that it has one owner, an old lady.
                      Last edited by Raf99; 08-07-2012, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Ya, after looking at pics I can see now that the brake line fitting goes the opposite way. Then the brake line runs over or under the hub and down the trailing arm.

Comment

I paid 10$ shipped from a us seller for my d2s sockets to fit my xentec brand hid setup and they arrived and look pretty good, with good cables on them. That's US obviously but still good.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinspeeds View Post
                            I paid 10$ shipped from a us seller for my d2s sockets to fit my xentec brand hid setup and they arrived and look pretty good, with good cables on them. That's US obviously but still good.
                            You're saying you paid $10 for adapter wires to fit DS2s?

Comment

The bulbs you're after can be had for much cheaper on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-New-OEM...f6048a&vxp=mtr

They are legit and this seller has an awesome rep on eBay and HIDPlanet.com for selling genuine bulbs with great customer service.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by Function>Form View Post
                                The bulbs you're after can be had for much cheaper on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-New-OEM...f6048a&vxp=mtr

They are legit and this seller has an awesome rep on eBay and HIDPlanet.com for selling genuine bulbs with great customer service.
                                Thanks. I believe you told me this in a prior post, I was trying to find it last night. Should save $20+

Comment

Working...
                                X