How to use Ball joint press kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HondaFan81
    I know I've written this before somewhere on this forum. Once you have the system, I can replace BOTH lower joints (after knuckle has been removed already) in like 30 minutes. Removing knuckles takes me about 15-20 minutes a side (i.e. jacking up car, removing removing wheel, etc.).

- remove knuckle assembly (with hub/rotor assy still installed) from car WITHOUT using pickle fork on the good joints and damaging the boots, you can do this buy using a heavy hammer to break joints loose
    - hit each joint AT the bore with a heavy hammer about 5-8 times should break the joint loose and it will pop out, don't hit the boot!
    - cut boot off bad lower joint
    - remove snap-ring
    - position knuckle with threaded end of joint pointing straight up
    - find tubing/socket that goes over threaded end and sits decent on the circular base of joint
    - use heavy hammer/sledge to knock joint out of knuckle bore
    - clean bore
    - position knuckle assembly in vise to do next operation (easier)
    - install new joint using a cup/pusher method and large C-clamp (cup the threaded end, push on the flat end of joint utilizing the C-clamp to do both operations...so one one side of C-clamp you have a cup & other the pusher)
    - I use impact to drive the C-clamp and it presses in the new joint, until it's seated all the way
    - install new snap-ring
    - reinstall in vehicle

lower joint castle nut 40 lb-ft
    upper & outer tie rod joint castle nuts 32 lb-ft

Totally how my dad did it when he helped me, I removed each knuckle while he put int the new joint, took him like 5-8 mins, gave me the knuckle back and i installed it..... it was some nice father son time.
    H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

See below.
      Last edited by freq; 11-12-2006, 10:59 AM.
      After 17 years and 208K miles, I'm not "tuning" my CB7, I'm "restoring" a CLASSIC.

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
        - remove knuckle assembly (with hub/rotor assy still installed) from car WITHOUT using pickle fork on the good joints and damaging the boots, you can do this buy using a heavy hammer to break joints loose
        - hit each joint AT the bore with a heavy hammer about 5-8 times should break the joint loose and it will pop out, don't hit the boot!
        - cut boot off bad lower joint
        - remove snap-ring
        - position knuckle with threaded end of joint pointing straight up
        - find tubing/socket that goes over threaded end and sits decent on the circular base of joint
        - use heavy hammer/sledge to knock joint out of knuckle bore
        - clean bore
        - position knuckle assembly in vise to do next operation (easier)
        - install new joint using a cup/pusher method and large C-clamp (cup the threaded end, push on the flat end of joint utilizing the C-clamp to do both operations...so one one side of C-clamp you have a cup & other the pusher)
        - I use impact to drive the C-clamp and it presses in the new joint, until it's seated all the way
        - install new snap-ring
        - reinstall in vehicle

lower joint castle nut 40 lb-ft
        upper & outer tie rod joint castle nuts 32 lb-ft

Truer words have never been spoken. Works awesome.

Thanks CB7TUNER.COM
        After 17 years and 208K miles, I'm not "tuning" my CB7, I'm "restoring" a CLASSIC.

Comment

Working...
        X