Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

What does a Broken Shock sound like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does a Broken Shock sound like?

I have a 93 lx with blown shocks on all four corners. After driving around on them for about 6 months I keep hearing a faint noise from the front passenger's side everytime I hit a bump, like little pieces of broken metal *dinging* around. I am not sure if it is my shocks, bearings, or something else. Anyone have any ideas?

well a blown shock sounds as if you are bottoming out everywhere, sounds more like a clunk noise.

Comment

clunk clunk over bumps

-91 Galant vr4 #1389
      -92 Honda Accord LX

Comment

Thanks for the input. The clunk clunk is kind of what it sounds like

Comment

i think that's your axle. you should also check your CV Boots, to see if it's not torn.

Comment

clunk clunk clatter ping screee....oh..sorry..
            the onomatopeia doesnt work so well as in comics..

Comment

You DEFINITELY feel unstable around turns... I had a blown shock on my front passenger side, and it was rather frightening.

Comment

Originally posted by mondojackal
                clunk clunk clatter ping screee....oh..sorry..
                the onomatopeia doesnt work so well as in comics..
                LOL! are you the special effects person now?

Comment

There are a few things you can do to confirm if it's a blown shock, or a split spring, or any of that combo...

1)Push down on a corner of the car. The car should not spring back up, it shouldn't spring back up all wobbley...the shock should absorb it and when you push it down, it should come up to the orignal setting.

2)Take off a wheel. Examine the spring(s). They shouldn't be split...Then examine the shock. The shock shouldn't be leaking any oil, meaning you shouldn't see any oil dripping anywhere...

3)When you go over bumps, "CLU-DUNK!" You cant speed fast because if you do, your car starts to drift side to side...

4)REPLACE THEM! This is a fine opportunity to change to nice Tokicos and some sport springs!

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
                  1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

If your shock is blown, it should also be covered in crap. Mine made quite a mess (and it was a KYB AGX)!

Sounds like time to upgrade anyway. Tokico Blues or KYB GR2s are great stock replacements. If you have the money, Koni Yellows (also called Sports) are insane. I just installed a set on my car, and MAN... the difference between those and the KYB AGXs I had before is night and day. I haven't even played with the settings yet! Well worth the money (especially what I paid )

Comment

I hear a clunk sometimes but that is my upper A-arm hitting the fender well.
                      Gary A.K.A. Carter
                      [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

i am sorry but my .02, you might want to chech your ball joints too, cause if it sounds like a metal clunk, then you might have to changes those too.
                        1)92 Accord lx - I/E w/ valves, springs and retainers. H22 bored to h23 not goin in this summer.--Totaled
                        2)92 Accord Ex - I/E and loving the sound.
                        3)89 Integra Lx - loving the new old-school.

ITS NOT HOW MUCH HORSEPOWER YOU HAVE, ITS HOW MUCH POWER YOUR HORSES CAN MAKE
                        Now serving the Red, White and Blue under the U.S.A.F
                        Now Working at.......Dyess AFB

Comment

I am going to take all of your guys' advice and pull the wheel off and check out the shocks, spring, cv's and ball joints. This is my beater car so I don't want to drop too much money on goodies. I have a 90 ex that collects all the $$$. I think i will just go get some tokico blues, do the R-O-H conversion, and see what else I might need to change. thanks all

Comment

To completely redo the front end with stock stuff, you're probably looking at about $450 (using ebay and reman parts.) Not too bad, really.

Comment

Working...
                            X