Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would cause my windshield wipers to stop working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would cause my windshield wipers to stop working?

92 accord dx. They just randomly stopped working. Not cool, were supposed to get a pretty gnarly storm in the next few days.

Any ideas? Thanks
    94 Honda Accord EX - cozy daily
    95 Civic DX w/ lamesauce b18
    92 Honda Accord Discount Xtreme - 400k miles strong
    04 Honda Helement EX AWD - GF's ride

Start with the fuse

"Discount Xtreme"?? Love it
    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
      Start with the fuse

"Discount Xtreme"?? Love it
      ya, power nothing, no painted bumpers. hell, I don't even have a pass side rearview mirror! I didn't even think that was legal.

either way, they still don't work. haven't checked the fuse but if that's not the issue any other suggestions? I seem to remember driving through a rather large puddle right before no workie....

also, they move rather freely when pulled. they both move at the same time still when pulled by hand. bad linkage from motor to wiper assbly?

Comment

happened to my boss' 93, turned out to be the plastic bushing on the motor broke and wouldn't move the arms. can you hear the motor working? if so, take your cowling apart and change the linkages.

Comment

yup, after taking a quick 2 minute look i can def hear the motor working at faster speeds when you turn it from int to low to high. fuse is still good too, obv. fuck

so what broke? anyone have a diy or a diagram of the wiper assembly? thanks
          Last edited by Jam; 12-10-2009, 01:31 AM.

Comment

no one had the part i needed in stock. honda dealer should have it tomorrow am

this has fucked up my day pretty badly. i had a pretty miserable day

Comment

Originally posted by Jam View Post
              ya, power nothing, no painted bumpers. hell, I don't even have a pass side rearview mirror! I didn't even think that was legal.

either way, they still don't work. haven't checked the fuse but if that's not the issue any other suggestions? I seem to remember driving through a rather large puddle right before no workie....

also, they move rather freely when pulled. they both move at the same time still when pulled by hand. bad linkage from motor to wiper assbly?
              no one had the part i needed in stock. honda dealer should have it tomorrow am

this has fucked up my day pretty badly. i had a pretty miserable day
              driving around with one side rearview mirror would make me sad too. u should fix that asap

Comment

dude, nothing needs to be "fixed" it didnt come with one. its a dx, it came with a block off plate.

anyone have a link to a write up? thanks

Comment

dude, nothing needs to be "fixed" it didnt come with one. its a dx, it came with a block off plate.

anyone have a link to a write up? thanks
                  You should have a rear view mirror regardless. The DX came with both mirrors.

Anyway, sounds to me like it could be the wiper transmission. Just a thought.
                  R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

There are plastic bushings/caps that you HAVE to get from Honda. Although they don't sell just the plastic pieces. You have to buy the complete linkage if I remember right. I went to a junk yard and pulled one to fix mine. I think Honda wanted like 50 dollars or more for the part and I got it for around 10. It's really easy. Take your wipers off, 1 nut holds each of them on, then take off the plastic cowling that goes across the bottom of your windshield. Then there will be a couple of bolts holding the motor and linkage and everything in and you take them out. Swap in the other one and do the reverse and you should be good. Let me know if you need this explained better. I tried every parts place around here and ended going to the junk yard because of how expensive Honda was lol.

Comment

ya, i bought them already. 2 metal rods with plastic caps on both ends. came to around $50 after tax. going to attempt this tomorrow

and cb7 sleeper, that is not true. i had an 88 civic dx that was the same way. block off plate for the pass side mirror, its legal

Comment

ya, i bought them already. 2 metal rods with plastic caps on both ends. came to around $50 after tax. going to attempt this tomorrow

and cb7 sleeper, that is not true. i had an 88 civic dx that was the same way. block off plate for the pass side mirror, its legal
                        Well that, is odd. I guess I learn new things everyday.
                        R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

It's simple man. You'll spend more time taking everything apart to get to it than anything else and even that shouldn't take too long. Just make sure you watch how it's put together before you take it apart and make sure you do it the exact same way or your wipers won't move right. If you have a camera you may even want to take a picture. Mine got turned on to make sure the new motor worked and it took us a minute to get everything back to how it should be. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                          X