Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

F22B swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i am going turbo. my setup is at the top. that was the whole premise for using this particular engine. cheap, good for boost, fits in a prelude without sacrificing and displacement lol. would you elaborate on that though? i have heard over and over that longer gears are better for boost, but i have never seen any evidence of it whatsoever. i mean, if you are getting traction, wouldnt a shorter geared transmission be faster? i know it "keeps you in boost" but i would like to hear more about it. Do you guys know anyone who actually improved their ET after switching to a long geared trannny, while still being under 300 WHP?

Comment

Being that your gonna run turbo on a f22 tranny, it has taller gears, it wont rev out as fast as an h tranny.

Comment

Originally posted by 4U2H8ME View Post
        Being that your gonna run turbo on a f22 tranny, it has taller gears, it wont rev out as fast as an h tranny.
        That really says nothing...

Shorter gears require more frequent shifting. In most cases, you shift once more with an H22 transmission than you would with an F22 transmission on a quarter mile run. When you shift, the turbo has to spool up again, causing a dip in power. It may not be incredibly significant. It's really a matter of taste. You're not trying to have the fastest car in the world, so if your quarter mile time suffers by .05, I'm sure you won't really care all that much.

Comment

right, which in turn would make it slower. right? i just dont see how if you had traction, longer gears would make your car faster. i literally shaved .6 of a second off my 1/4 ET by just switching from my F22 to my H22. the only thing i can can think of would be that the F22B wouldnt have a long enough powerband to make any use of it. I'm honestly just curious. i would like for the F trans to be better because i have to use it, but its just hard to believe.

Comment

Driving your turbo car out of boost will make it slower. A properly sized turbo for a 2.2L engine will take time to spool up. The turbo slows down when you shift, and you are putting down less power until it spools back up. Eliminating one shift with longer gears will result in a faster time.

You are adding a turbo... you are drastically altering the powerband of the engine.

N/A engines will benefit from shorter gearing. Turbo engines generally benefit from longer gearing, for the reasons I just explained. Traction has nothing to do with it.

Comment

the last post was for 4U2H8me. deevergote: its not that im so worried about the half second as much as just meeting my goal for the car. I'm shooting for a 13.999. im worried that the long gearing is going to kill this cars ET. 5th gen preludes are just so damn heavy. I feel like with the power im looking at on 10 psi and the mani i have, with the H22 trans i would get there, but idk about this trans. like i said earlier, it made my NA H22 slowwwwwwwwwww....

Comment

Long gears make NA cars slow. Long gears result in lower ETs for turbo cars. My last two posts (which say the same thing) still apply.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  That really says nothing...

Shorter gears require more frequent shifting. In most cases, you shift once more with an H22 transmission than you would with an F22 transmission on a quarter mile run. When you shift, the turbo has to spool up again, causing a dip in power. It may not be incredibly significant. It's really a matter of taste. You're not trying to have the fastest car in the world, so if your quarter mile time suffers by .05, I'm sure you won't really care all that much.
                  I stand corrected. I generally try to give the quickest explanation without having to write a book. Plus my experience with turbos is limited. I've never done a turbo build but have been around enough builds to know the basics.

Comment

alright ill take your word for it. my F trans is in perfect condition too so its probably a better idea anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by 4U2H8ME View Post
                      I stand corrected. I generally try to give the quickest explanation without having to write a book. Plus my experience with turbos is limited. I've never done a turbo build but have been around enough builds to know the basics.
                      Short answers without writing a book? I need to take a lesson there...

Comment

anyone have a recommendation for a wideband? i was thinking AEM, but there has to be a better one out there. something $300 or less would be ideal lol

Comment

Innovate and Zeitronix are common ones. I have an Innovate LM-1 myself... though my car hasn't been in any condition for me to use it since I got it! In looking through everything that came with it though, I'm pleased with the quality. Nothing seems cheap.
                          I got it directly from Bisimoto, so I would trust anything that Bisi trusts.

Comment

good luck....i think you should go wit the step down harness

Comment

the harness from Rywire?

Comment

Working...
                              X