Bad Main Relay? Bad ECU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Main Relay? Bad ECU?

Today getting out of work I start up my car and let it warmup. When all of a sudden a loud whistling noise started to come out of the engine bay, I immediately shut the car off but the engine kept running with the key out. I ran back to my office to grab a fire extinguisher in the case a fire broke out. When I get back to the car, the car is off. I get back in and noticed the courtesy nor dome light came on, so I put my key in looked at the instrument panel and nothing would come on nor the engine would crank over.

what could be the problem?

A bad ECU not receiving any signal in the lines?

Could it be the main relay that has gone bad and probably cracked from the solder points?

thank you in advance

A main relay would have nothing to do with your courtesy lights. I would first check voltage to the battery. Also check the fuses, ECU fuse would be one of them.

I'm unsure of the whistling. Keep us updated.

EDIT: Your car would be off, considering you took the keys. Did you inspect the engine bay for any smell, or possibly smoke? Sounds like a short but it can be a million different things.
    Last edited by jdm_inspired; 12-03-2014, 12:33 AM.

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

Originally posted by jdm_inspired View Post
      A main relay would have nothing to do with your courtesy lights. I would first check voltage to the battery. Also check the fuses, ECU fuse would be one of them.

I'm unsure of the whistling. Keep us updated.

EDIT: Your car would be off, considering you took the keys. Did you inspect the engine bay for any smell, or possibly smoke? Sounds like a short but it can be a million different things.
      After having a buddy of mine tow my car over to a friends shop later on I opened the hood and did smell something funky in the engine bay.

I couldn't check out the fuses or anything because it was raining so I'll have to swing by tomorrow to my friends shop when he's there to check it out properly.

Comment

If all fuses and such check out, you might check out the ignition switch itself.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Sounds like your ignition switch or starter is shorting out. I beleave that sound you heard was your starting running. Just an idea I'm throwing out there.

1991 Accord LX .

Comment

So I went over to my friends shop and he told me it was shorting out and that the starter is bad. I'll keep you guys posted tomorrow when he installs the parts to see if it cranks over normal and runs with out dying out.

Comment

Well guys she's up and running. Thank you for giving out ideas to keep in mind to have checked out also.

Comment

Working...
              X