No announcement yet.

cp[mike] : 1999 Honda CR-V EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice. When i was working as a Honda tech i loved seeing these come in with 5-speeds. Very uncommon and very cool. Would love to take one out in the wilds with a manual. Great color too!

Any chance you need a set of stock cams? I have a minty set for the B20B just sitting in the garage.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by islandhopper View Post
      Very nice. When i was working as a Honda tech i loved seeing these come in with 5-speeds. Very uncommon and very cool. Would love to take one out in the wilds with a manual. Great color too!

Any chance you need a set of stock cams? I have a minty set for the B20B just sitting in the garage.
      i assure you, its plenty wimpy! serves its purpose well, though. I haven't been able to give it a real good test in bad weather or anything muddy, since the current tires are terrible. Old allseasons, dried and cracking, with no tread. Going to get a new set sometime this year before winter hits again.

And i wish I needed them, but so far I think i'm all set. if i ever need some cores for a regrind, i know who to ask :P

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
        i assure you, its plenty wimpy! serves its purpose well, though. I haven't been able to give it a real good test in bad weather or anything muddy, since the current tires are terrible. Old allseasons, dried and cracking, with no tread. Going to get a new set sometime this year before winter hits again.

And i wish I needed them, but so far I think i'm all set. if i ever need some cores for a regrind, i know who to ask :P
        Throw some 33's on it and go wheelin'! i kid, i kid.....

And no worries, man. Just throwin' it out there...i'll keep em' clean for when ya need cores for a turbo grind...

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Nice job on the VC. Looks better than OEM.

Comment

Just a little upgrade. Went from the OEM gray nerf-looking steering wheel, to an excellent condition Leather-wrapped black steering wheel from a '97 Prelude.

Current cars:

Comment

Not sure how I missed this.

We have a 2009, and It's pretty cool. AWD as well, and last year with the bad snow I felt it get loose and the AWD kicked in and straightened her right out.

VSA helps a lot as well.

I got the Push bars on the front and back. No other mods really besides a Pioneer double din. It's the wifes!

Ill find a pic
              Last edited by Ralphie; 06-28-2014, 01:56 PM.

Comment

So this thing has seen a lot of action since my last update.

I finished doing a COMPLETE tuneup, including all new seals, tbelt, etc. Valve stem seals and valve adjustment, belts, etc. New clutch and flywheel too. Drove it for a few weeks, ran great! Then one morning I started it up - sitting in the driver seat, letting it idle and warm up - and all of a sudden it started making a horrific scraping, clunking noise. The sound subsided a little bit, but was coming from the block, and something internal obviously was shot. I suspect something in the bottom end, a bearing or something, but not sure. Removed every accessory, belt, etc, and it was still scraping terribly. Being unable to trust it, I ended up yanking the motor and replacing it with a JDM B20B from an Integra. Got it home and discovered the exhaust valves were all burnt and leaking, and the motor had terrible compression. Without being able to pursue a warranty, I ended up tearing the motor down completely for a rebuild. New valves, piston rings, rod bearings, all seals, timing belt, clutch kit, tuneup stuff, etc. Fantastic compression numbers when it was finished, and it runs GREAT now. During this rebuild, I finished replacing all of the suspension and brakes (springs, shocks, calipers, drums, lines, hydraulics)

Got 4 new tires, then proceeded to load up 4200 pounds of cargo weight, including a cartop carrier and U-Haul trailer packed to the brim, and drove almost 2000 miles from NY to CO dragging ass. It managed to pull almost 3 times the recommended towing capacity, and made it safe and sound to its new home in Denver. Has excellent compression numbers still, and since I got here I've replaced the O2 sensors, and will be replacing the cat converter in a couple weeks (I will be modding a CB7 one to fit)

Pictures of all the parts waiting to be installed. Handful of things not pictured, like the valves, tstat, pcv, coolant hoses, other seals.

clutch, flywheel, clutch hydraulics, timing belt, seals, tbelt, etc

motor mounts, oil pan, front suspension

new calipers, drums, hardware, lines, brake hydraulics

While dropping the transmission, doing the clutch on the first motor before it died

New suspension and brakes installed

New motor on left, old on right

Re-seating the new valves

valves all done

doing a seal test by seeing if it holds water for 24 hours

rebuilt head

old rod bearings, before replacing them

cylinders still had OEM crosshatching on them, so I did not re-hone. Just cleaned the upper ridge (left cyl cleaned, right side still dirty)

Piston after being cleaned up

Motor being assembled:

Empty engine bay

During the swap

New motor installed!

Nice and clean with completely rebuilt motor and suspension

Freshhhh

Absolutely overloaded...

4200 lbs of weight, plus 3400 vehicle weight = 7600 gross
                Last edited by cp[mike]; 11-24-2014, 07:05 PM.

Current cars:

Comment

so I went for an emissions test this morning, and failed due to excessive NOx output. They say this can be due to high cylinder pressures and/or combustion temperatures. I had made sure to retard my timing by a few degrees, as this is said to greatly help with this particular issue, but i guess it didn't help enough.

both my O2 sensors are new Denso units, and occasionally I get a CEL light for P0420 - Poor Cat Efficiency. The guts of the cat are rattling around loose inside the casing, so I assume there is a gap where un-catalyzed exhaust is making its way through?

does a Catalytic Converter assist in reducing NOx? everything I have been reading says that it doesn't really, and that even without a cat, NOx will be low enough for a properly running engine with correct combustion temps, even though other types of readings may end up being higher instead. I don't want to bother replacing a cat if it isn't really going to fix the real source of the problem.

Other recommendations say to check the cooling system, which I recently completely redid, so I don't suspect it's that. Some recommend a higher pressure cap, so temps stay lower.

Can the MSD ignition system be burning too 'hot' and cause the higher combustion temps?

Next time, I'm going to try it with Premium octane gas as well. Any other suggestions?

Current cars:

Comment

NOx means you're running lean, right? Do you still have a functioning EGR system? If you want to lower cylinder temperatures you want to richen the mixture.

Did you ever have a SAFC/VAFC with any of your cars? Wire it in and add more fuel across the board. It may not help with the combustion byproducts but it'll cool the cylinders down and drop your NOx. Is the B20 MAF or MAP? I'm trying to think of any reason the car's calling for less fuel. Do you have sufficient fuel flow? Any pinging?

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                      NOx means you're running lean, right? Do you still have a functioning EGR system? If you want to lower cylinder temperatures you want to richen the mixture.

Did you ever have a SAFC/VAFC with any of your cars? Wire it in and add more fuel across the board. It may not help with the combustion byproducts but it'll cool the cylinders down and drop your NOx. Is the B20 MAF or MAP? I'm trying to think of any reason the car's calling for less fuel. Do you have sufficient fuel flow? Any pinging?
                      NOx can be due to a few reasons. Running lean will lead to increased combustion temps, which will lead to higher NOx. Supposedly a leak in the intake manifold can cause it too (can't really see how that would be, unless its MAF) but I should probably check anyway - maybe when I was moving the nipples around, one of them started leaking around its perimeter.

Also, no EGR on the Civic platform, so that can't be it. They say possibly clogged fuel injectors, but those are super clean (everything is). Don't see why it would be restricted, the filter plus all the filters/screens in the injectors are new. No pinging, it runs great. Though I did retard the timing like many people recommend, but I didn't try running premium gas yet. I've also heard that running a lot of HEET stabilizer in the tank will help too.

The B20 is MAP, and I don't have an SAFC but it's an interesting idea that I will have to keep an eye out for if I continue to have problems.

I ended up looking into how the Cat works, and considering mine is aftermarket, and potentially leaking internally, it should probably be replaced. It was likely a cheap unit that may or may not have contained sufficient catalysts inside.

I ended up ordering one that is for "heavy emissions vehicles" with extra Rhodium in it, which is supposed to be extra effective in reducing NOx. Will let you know if that works or not...
                      Last edited by cp[mike]; 11-26-2014, 12:13 AM.

Current cars:

Comment

The other thing you have to take into consideration is the elevation. Your MAP values will be less at the higher elevation than at say, sea level. MAP values relates to air density and pressure obviously plays a role in density.

P = p* Rspecific * T

P = Manifold Pressure
                        p = density of gas
                        R = gas constant as a function of gas molecular weight
                        T = gas temperature

Pressure and density are directly proportional in this scenario. Thus at a higher elevation, your MAP will be lower, your air density will be lower and you can get less fuel into the motor using the same computer calibration.

Potentially an intake leak will let the outside air flow into the motor, which will allow more air into the motor giving you a leaner burn.

I'm assuming your HC values were abnormally high? If they are, then you're lean. If they're not, your cats are bad.

Comment

so I ended up replacing the catalytic converter, like I had said before. I had suspicion that the internal substrate brick was loose and rattling inside the casing, but once I pulled it off, I found this:

While I was towing the trailer, on the final day (the last couple tanks of gas) I was having ignition problems where I was getting poor spark due to a loose electrical ground. I made it and later fixed the ignition, but I guess the unburned fuel in the exhaust likely torched the guts during the trip.

With the new cat installed, both O2 sensors new Denso units, a half tank of premium, timing retarded a couple degrees, and a bottle of "CRC Guaranteed to Pass" in the tank, I reset the ECU and drove it around for an hour to make sure it was retuned for the altitude, and the car passed with flying colors. I also made sure to go on an early afternoon that was medium temperature (60deg) and at least moderate humidity (65&#37 as I learned in my studying that both can help.

The cat I choose was an "Eastern Catalytic ECO III" - extra rhodium in it for reducing extra emissions, plus "high flow" so as to make sure it is not a chokepoint along the way. Unfortunately there is a TINY bit of audible raspiness, but not bad. More info: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...816&cc=1355633

Here are the Before numbers:

HC = 0.9 / 1.2
                          CO = 9.4 / 15.0
                          NOx = 4.2 / 2.0

and the After numbers:

HC = 0.2 / 1.2
                          CO = 1.4 / 15.0
                          NOx = 0.3 / 2.0

As you can see, the numbers dropped drastically across the board. The car was retested for free, passed, and is now officially registered in Colorado. Woohoo!

I also got a new tire (well, used... like-new) mounted and balanced on the spare. Making a long road trip back to NY for Christmas and I didn't trust the dryrotted one that was on there. $40 cash for the tire, mounted and balanced out the door. I have a leather spare cover coming in the mail to finish it up.

Last edited by cp[mike]; 12-06-2014, 01:38 AM.

Current cars:

Comment

awesome work! any plans for LS vtec down the road? heh. Thatd rock!

Comment

I've been going back and forth with purchasing this exact chassis and selling my 2011 accord coupe. It's more practical I suppose, and has tons more use. Plus I'm trying to stack up for a house so it would help me shave off the car note.

How do you like it so far? MPGs vs the CB?

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                                awesome work! any plans for LS vtec down the road? heh. Thatd rock!
                                no way man! this is a total h2b waiting to happen.
                                CB7TUNER.com
                                Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

Working...
                                X